As a volunteer Nia Sista you will work with a partner SistaKeeper and group of 5-10 girls in a circle for girls ages 8-12 or 13-18. Keepers guide the girls through identifying a problems in their community and solving it over the course of 12 weeks. Most importantly Keepers show girls that they are powerful, important and valued. The Keepers role is a dynamic and rewarding experience that leads to connections with girls and other adult women. Teaching girls the importance of being a Keeper to themselves, their sista and their communities.
- A NETWORK OF PROFESSIONAL WOMEN
- YOUTH DEVELOPMENT TRAINING
- GROUP MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- FACILITATION SKILLS
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- PUBLIC SPEAKING AND FUNDRAISING SKILLS
When: You will meet with girls once per month. This is approximately a 4 hour per month time commitment from either August-December or January-May. The time you spend will change the lives of girls. The SK program cycle begins with a coach orientation in either August for the fall cycle or January for the spring cycle. The program ends with a celebration of our mission and yearly goals.
Where: Girls who are members of SK are either in middle school or high school. On the application you will be able to tell us your preference for location and times of meetings so that we can match you with the team that best fits your schedule.
Training: We also offer Keepers training sessions that assist Keepers in working within the circles, youth development, managing a social change project in partnership with girls and networking with other professional women. Once you are accepted as a Keeper, you will receive a calendar of the dates.
- Ability to fully commit to a volunteer assignment from August-December or January-May
- Ability to attend MANDATORY Keepers orientation and one additional training during the program cycle. Willingness to be flexible in the organic process that youth projects take.
- Willingness to be screened and fingerprinted. Willingness to work with another Keeper.
- Desire to encourage, inspire, empower, ignite and engage young women to develop their leadership abilities and implement social change projects.